Blog Archive

Thursday 28 July 2011

Waiting.

Waiting.

Just sitting around. A pale blue of morning sunny sky filters white through a thin veil of mist, sending beams of light down through trees while a never-ending succession of industrious wasps are in, out, in and out of a wee hole in the ground. Above, a magnificent Lime tree sparkles with a million translucent droplets of dew it has gleaned from the moist air.

We are all waiting for the go-ahead to start work. Muffled conversations of workman’s banter and laughter mix with rustle of cigarette papers from the ubiquitous white van. From the trees, the shoutings of a magpie and crow. In the distance, pigeons hoot and all around, a plethora of song birds give a morning concert of rowdy chirping and tweeting cacophony. The crow and magpie are in the same ivy-covered pine; I wonder if they’re arguing over something that’s none of my business. My attention is caught by a dragonfly, whirrs past my head so close I feel the air beat by its wings on my hair. It lands on a shiny laurel leaf and sits; a still, intricate, perfect form, a foot from my head. I watch as I wait.

The mist thins in the languid air and its faint breath hardly bothers the leaves of Laburnum and Birch in the garden. We wait. A dog barks. A tractor grumbles past dragging a heady aroma of manure and diesel.

Waiting. It’s the best part of the day.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
up in the hills, Co Durham
tree climber, painter, stilt walker, musician. After 20 years of city life and all the late nights and fun, returned to my country-boy roots. Open fires, tranquility and muddy boots.