Blog Archive

Sunday 7 August 2011

One Shitty Job

Up some big rough-barked gnarly oak of a horrible sleety winter stormy day may well be some people’s idea of a shitty job, and it takes a lot of soul searching in that situation to keep the spirits up - exposed to winds that cut your face off, hands as cold as toothache; my backside has been completely numb, I’ve had karabiners frozen shut which I’ve had to blow on to release (getting your mouth frozen to a karabiner while at the top of a tree is hilarious - to your colleagues) and then some wee whippy twig twangs you right on the tender part of a frozen ear, it’s a better man than me who doesn’t swear.

Of course, I’d had other jobs which were challenging in their own ways - jobs I may have enjoyed at the time but more than glad I’d long since moved on. Many moons before I was ever a tree surgeon, I worked with special needs students (or whatever the latest politically correct term is these days - it’s hard to keep up with all that stuff) and for the most part, it was a good job - the students were good crack, it paid the bills and let me drink beer on a weekend, however there were also plenty shitty backsides, toilet rolls and rubber gloves involved - and that is a great education. Nothing will teach you humility like looking after a stranger who is utterly dependant on you.

I remember felling trees on a railway one February nightshift where it was so cold the icy rain was freezing on contact with the rail-head. Many of the lads were bleating and whining about how bad it was - like that‘s ever going to improve things. And that’s when it’s good to have at least one shitty job in your past - ’cause then you can always remind yourself - at least I’m not wiping mad people’s arses for the minimum wage.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
up in the hills, Co Durham
tree climber, painter, stilt walker, musician. After 20 years of city life and all the late nights and fun, returned to my country-boy roots. Open fires, tranquility and muddy boots.