Blog Archive

Saturday 12 November 2011

Watching the paint dry.



On safety stand-down day there was a shuffling of feet.  There were hands straight-armed into pockets and shoulders stiff.  Backs leant against cold brick walls.  Waiting for nothing to happen.  A day of tick boxes and slow time.  Someone cleans a wing mirror and someone fumbles with a phone and I sit in the van and draw and write down the boredom - the extravagant waste of non-refundable time, and thinking
    “If I’m drawing, I’m doing something with this time.”
We wait and wait while the minutes die like autumn leaves; when they’re gone, we won’t get them back.  Every dead minute is a travesty; a crime against sense.  The world doesn’t stop for safety-stand-down day.

The autumn palette of  leaves curl up like old paint, revealing the bones of trees beneath -  watching paint dry.  And that’s what I do.  I steal every spare moment from my work life to do something creative.  If I have to watch paint dry, I’m going to record it, write it down, play its tune or paint its portrait.  I realise that drawing trees is still more important to me than pruning them (even though it’s pruning them that pays the bills).  Being a poor artist is fine when young and idealistic, and I’ve not become cynical and given up these ideals but the reality is I like having a job, I like it when I go to the cash machine and it doesn’t laugh and tell me to come back when I’ve got some money.  I like having a car, I like going for a pint and not worrying about how I’m going to buy my next meal.

I recently had a couple of days off to extend my weekend and made the most of my time to play guitar and draw.  I’d been asked to make some cartoons for a friend to use in a university presentation and spent a blissful couple of days in my kitchen with a big fire on, cool tunes on the stereo, plenty beer and the kitchen table covered in pencils, pens and paper and once again, for that brief time, I was lost in the world of the artist - a world I feel very at home in, and miss very much.

It’s another morning and we’ve been parked up at Gayles for an hour.  A wet grey mist hangs in the air like stale cobwebs on a old window.  All the lads are stood around talking and I’m in the van drawing.  There’s opinions, jokes, shuffling of feet and hands in pockets.  My work/life balance is such that these moments are all I have to cling onto any artistic ideas and I’m acutely aware that by its nature, makes me quite antisocial at times.

A burglar alarm cuts clean through my wandering thoughts; that’ll be the power switched off and work-time started.  My artistic moments are over until next time… put away that pen and pick up that chainsaw.  I wonder which is the mightier?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
up in the hills, Co Durham
tree climber, painter, stilt walker, musician. After 20 years of city life and all the late nights and fun, returned to my country-boy roots. Open fires, tranquility and muddy boots.